Swing Into Your Spring Fitness Routine with Free Exercise Classes at Railroad
Spring Break is finally here and if you’re looking for a free activity for the entire family to enjoy we’ve got dibs on a fun activity that will allow you to get fit as you enjoy this nice spring weather. Get Healthy on the Railroad is now underway with a variety of fun exercises such as Jazzercise and other classes that will take place each Monday through Friday at 6:00 p.m.
Torrie Chatman, a Zumba Instructor with Get Healthy on the Railroad, said she couldn’t be more excited to continue this fitness series as it helps her keep the salsa dance moves fresh and innovative.
“I am thrilled to be able to take part in such a fun event that allows families and friends to get active as a group,” said Chatman. “Each year, I look forward to this event because it challenges me to come up with new and exciting routines that will really motivate people to come out week after week as we work towards fit, and healthy lifestyles.”
In addition to swinging back into your fitness routine, try these 5 easy tips for implementing healthy habits into your daily lifestyle routine:
- Detox your water with fruit and veggies such as apple slices, lemons, cucumbers and mint leaves, strawberries, etc. Water can lose its luster after a couple of cups; fruits and veggies will help to keep it satisfying to your system.
- Substitute a meal with a healthy smoothie compiled with all of your nutrients for the day. This works great for our digestive systems.
- If you can’t stay away from carbs, reduce your portion size and/or try adding your favorite vegetable into your meals for example, rice a roni with fresh broccoli mixed in.
- Drink water with every meal and snack. It helps to trick our stomachs into feeling full and satisfied, drinking water each time we eat can help meals and snacks last longer.
- Take the stairs every chance you get. Challenge yourself to at least take the stairs on your lunch break. This way you can burn off a portion of those calories you’ve just consumed.
Get Healthy on the Railroad classes for the week begin at 6:00 p.m. each day and are as follows: Monday- Jazzercise; Tuesday- Bootcamp; Wednesday- Zumba; Thursday- Yoga and Friday- Happy Feet Fridays.
All classes are FREE thanks to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama. Please arrive 15 minutes early to register, as you must each time you participate in a class.
As a corporate leader in Alabama, Blue Cross Blue Shield is committed to positively impacting the health and education of the communities they serve. The sponsorship of “Get Healthy on the Railroad” allows the company to make a positive impact on the community and the overall health of the downtown Birmingham area. With this initiative, Blue Cross is doing the right thing, the right way, for the right reasons.
This article is a contribution from Chiara Perry (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Birmingham City Council Public Information Office. For more information please contact 205.254.2294.